Chewy Molasses-Spice Cookies Recipe
Yields: Makes 36
Total Time: 1 hr 30 min
Prep Time: 25 min
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup(s) molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a shallow bowl, place 1/2 cup sugar; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and remaining cup of sugar until combined. Beat in egg and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually mix in dry ingredients, just until a dough forms.
- Pinch off and roll dough into balls, each equal to 1 tablespoon. Roll balls in reserved sugar to coat.
- Arrange balls on baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of cookies are just firm, 10 to 15 minutes (cookies can be baked two sheets at a time, but they will not crackle uniformly). Cool 1 minute on baking sheets; transfer to racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 4 days.