Katsu means cutlet, and chicken katsu is deep fried chicken with bread crumbs. But I tried this with salad and they make a great pair! SCRUMPTIOUS!!
- Two pieces of chicken breast (3/4 lb each)
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup Panko (or breadcrumbs)
- 3 cups of corn/vegetable oil (For deep-frying)
1. Open each chicken breast and season both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Heat up corn/vegetable oil in a deep pan.
3. Sprinkle flour on both sides of each chicken breast then dredge in egg. Cover with Panko.
4. Deep-fry each katsu until golden brown, then drain excess oil out. (I lay them over paper-towels.)
Ingredients for Salad:
- 1/4 Red cabbage
- 1 meddium romaine lettuce
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tbsp of dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp of dried unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of olives
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup of feta cheese
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
1. Rinse vegetables and slice them into slices.
2. Toss in olives, dried cranberries, dried sunflower seeds, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
3. Mix the salad well, and pinch in the feta cheese last.
4. Serve with sliced chicken katsu.